Friday 15 April 2016

Kobe Bryant's 'unbelievable' display in final NBA game

Kobe Bryant

Kobe scored 60 points in his final game as he ended a glittering 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers which was the sixth time the NBA's third highest scorer had scored 60 points, beaten only by Wilt Chamberlain.
"You can't write something better than this," said 37-year-old Bryant, who helped the Lakers come from behind to beat Utah Jazz 101-96.

He attempted 50 shots on the night, the most by anyone in an NBA game in the last 30 seasons.
Kobe Bryant stats
Five-time NBA champion
Third on the NBA's all-time scoring list
18-time an All-Star, 11 times first-team All-NBA
Tops Lakers' all-time points, three-pointers, steals and games played
Bryant, who made his debut in November 1996, finished with 33,643 career points - third on the NBA's all-time scoring list behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387) and Karl Malone (36,928).
He checked out with 4.1 seconds left and hugged former team-mate Shaquille O'Neal as a sell-out crowd at the Staples Center chanted: "Kobe! Kobe! Kobe!''
Image result for kobe bryant
The 18-time All-Star, known as the 'Black Mamba,' told the crowd: "I can't believe how fast 20 years went by, this is crazy.
Reflecting on his final game and a remarkable comeback that produced a fairytale victory, Bryant continued: "All night long my team-mates were just continuing to feed me the ball, I just had to take the challenge.
"I tried to not watch the news, to just stay in the present because I didn't want to come out here and completely stink it up - which I did for the first five minutes!
"I was just like, 'OK, I've got to settle down'. Defensively I got some plays - I got some steals, I got a block - and that kind of got me into the game a little bit."
Lakers legend Magic Johnson had earlier told the crowd: "He never cheated us as fans. He has played hurt, and we have five championship banners to show for it."
US President Barack Obama and Football legend Pele joined in with the tributes, tweeting: "farewell for an all-timer".

No comments:

Post a Comment